Friday, April 18, 2014

she's born to shimmer

We're born to shimmer
We're born to shine
We're born to radiate
We're born to live
We're born for love

-Shawn Mullins "Shimmer" 

Two Wednesdays ago, I finally got to see Shawn Mullins in concert. If you had watched my activity on social media that night, you would have seen me nearly falling over from excitement. I've been a fan for many years. But every time he played in North Carolina, I was never here. I was always on vacation somewhere else in the world. He schedules very few tour dates each year, so I feel like it's a miracle when he does play nearby. Upon learning about the concert in February, I bought tickets immediately.

Initially, I didn't care for the opener, Max Gomez; but he did grow on me throughout the night, especially when he and Shawn sang a couple of songs together. Recently, I've been listening to more of his music. I even heard his song "Run From You" at Panera last week.

The concert was held in Carrboro at Cat's Cradle. They had the door open before the show started, and I spied the sun setting over the city. I walked outside to get a picture. As I meandered, trying to find a good vantage point, I heard him. I didn't see him immediately, but I heard his voice. He was hidden behind a corner of the building, sitting on a wooden bench, talking with his wife, his backup vocalist, and Max. They were talking about getting food before he went on stage. I was eavesdropping, as I sometimes do. Someone else walked to him and took a photo. As he was leaving, I asked if he'd mind a photograph. "Sure, no problem." And we created a selfie together. He is very kind, and quiet.

To say I was happy would be a vast understatement. I was elated. He's not well-known, and didn't draw a large crowd, but he's someone I've wanted to see live for years. When I pause to write words for this blog, his music is what I listen to, nothing else works. His deep mellow voice and the soothing guitar melodies are perfect. There's a live recording of one of his shows that is posted online, and it lasts for about an hour and fifteen minutes, which is just enough time for me to write a rough first draft. It's perfect. 

The concert was amazing. He sang a lot of songs I knew, and a few I couldn't quite sing. His "Lullaby" is one you'd probably recognize if you heard it. "Everywhere I Go" was also really popular when it was first released in 2009. The rest, you may not know even if I mentioned them. I love the "Twin Rocks, Oregon" story because it reminds me of myself, always observing. It was so fun to sing "Lonesome" along with a roomful of strangers who love his music just as much as I do. It was refreshing to know I wasn't the only one. Maybe some of them had graying hair, maybe some were traveling with canes, maybe some were illegally sneaking in chairs, maybe they were drinking responsibly; but that's normal for me. As some say, I was surely born in the wrong decade. 

For me, one of the most wonderful parts of a concert, is seeing someone do what they truly love with such passion and joy. It's mesmerizing

After the concert, I crawled on stage, stole the set list, bolted backstage, pushed my way (politely) to him and his wife, and asked him if he would sign it. I told him that I've waited years to see him in concert and would he mind signing the set list? He said of course and asked for my name. He wrote, "To Jessica  Shawn Mullins" and I was over the moon. It may have seemed very silly to a random person looking on, but I was so happy. It was a good night! 




Our selfie, Wednesday, April 9, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment