Wednesday, October 1, 2014

31 Days of Bibliophilia

My friend Corie Clark recently suggested that I participate in a 31 day writing challenge. At first, I was very skeptical. I thought (to myself), the internet will be FLOODED with words! I know many writers, and we share and promote each other's words. Sometimes, I get a little jaded.

I feel like the universe is inundated with tellers and speakers and writers, but not many listeners and readers. However, an idea flitted across my brain this morning; and, based on the gentle prodding of my friends (also thanks to Amy Latta), I'm going to grasp it, believe in it, and, before my courage wains, run with it.

I'm going to write "31 Days of Bibliophilia." What is bibliophilia? No, it's not a odd disease or weird phobia. Bibliophilia is the love of books. According to Wikipedia, "The classic bibliophile is one who loves to read, admire and collect books, often amassing a large and specialized collection." A much simpler (and more common) explanation: I'm a bookworm!

As George R.R. Martin wrote, "A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." I've always been a book lover. I love living many lives. I love the knowledge, the random facts, and the "big words" that surprise people when they manage to cascade joyfully from the recesses of my brain.

I will be posting every day and linking all in this post. 

Day One: Introduction
Day Two: Only the Cat Saw
Day Three: The Seagulls Woke Me
Day Four: Gone Girl
Day Five: The Scarlet Pimpernel
Day Six: Look Through my Window
Day Seven: The Maze Runner
Day Eight: The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle
Day Nine: The Book Thief
Day Ten: The Witch of Blackbird Pond
Day Eleven: Outlander
Day Twelve: Wise Words about Books
Day Thirteen: Farmer Boy
Day Fourteen: The Ordinary Princess
Day Fifteen: The Adventures of a Bibliophile
Day Sixteen: A Tale of Two Cities
Day Seventeen: Joyland
Day Eighteen: The Fault in Our Stars
Day Nineteen: a few words about books
Day Twenty: The Glass Castle
Day Twenty-One: The Giver
Day Twenty-Two: The Time Machine
Day Twenty-Three: Back Roads
Day Twenty-Four: Mr. Mercedes
Day Twenty-Five: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Day Twenty-Six: books: life-changers
Day Twenty-Seven: October's Party
Day Twenty-Eight: Divergent
Day Twenty-Nine: The Hunger Games
Day Thirty: The Passage
Day Thirty-One: epilogue: a grand adventure!




Photo: Rollie Lux, "Clouds over the Corn," Nebraska, October 8, 2013

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. This is SO perfect for me...I'm a fellow bibliophile! I'm intrigued, and will definitely be following your journey!

    Cindy at Notes in the Key of Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Cindy!! I hope it will be worth reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also am such a bibliophile! I can't wait to read what you write!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can help you with your links! Email me: looklucklove AT yahoo DOT com :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have bibliophilia!!! Glad I stumbled on this blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you did too! Hopefully I can keep them intriguing!

      Delete