Tuesday, October 7, 2014

The Maze Runner

When I saw the trailer for the movie The Maze Runner (book by James Dashner, 2009), I immediately texted myself. I text myself reminders. Usually book titles I want to read, but mostly grocery lists. I wanted to remember to read the book before the movie was released. I'm funny like that. 

My copy arrived on a Wednesday afternoon right before lunch time, I had finished it by Thursday night. To say it's a page turner is a vast understatement. I lived in that book for two days. They rest of my real life was a shadowy ghost in the background, pestering me with silly things like work, eating, and sleeping. Minor annoyances that briefly interrupted my reading.

Our hero, Thomas, tumbled into The Glade. He had no idea what was happening. There were several other boys his own age living in the Glade. They had a system in place. A way of functioning that worked for them. He disrupted their lives. When he arrived, things started happening that had never happened before.

The other boys didn't like this of course, and most had a strong dislike (one, hatred) for him and his mere presence in the Glade.

He acclimated quickly to his surroundings. He learned about the various jobs: gardener, butcher, cook. But what he really wanted to do was be a runner. 

A maze surrounded the Glade, with giant gates closing every night at dusk, keeping the "Gladers" inside at night. In the daylight, the runners run into the maze, trying to find a way out. The group had been there for two years, and still found no way out. 

There were strange creatures out in the maze. The Gladers knew them as Grievers. They had slimy, greasy bodies, with metal components like scissors and needles sticking out. Few survived an encounter with a Griever. 

A few days after Thomas arrives, a girl is deposited in the glade. Teresa. A note attached to her unconscious body says, "She's the last one, EVER." 

Of course this was ominous. One night, shortly after, the gates didn't close at sundown. The Grievers storm into the glade, attacking the boys and Teresa. Some were dragged into the maze and killed. 

In the days that followed, Thomas the group into the maze, and they attempt to find a way out. I'm not telling you anymore of the story. 

Other than life's necessary interruptions, I did not stop reading this book until I reached the very end. Dashner weaves a very compelling story. Cold surprises will reach around the corners of the maze and grab your neck. Watch out!


My copy.

This post is part of the 31 Days of Bibliophilia series. 


8 comments:

  1. I read this, too, in a fairly short time frame. I'd been curious about it for a while before I finally picked it up. But, honestly, the story didn't grab me. It seems to fall in the dystopian young adult realm, but didn't have the same grip on me. I haven't picked up the sequel still and I read this one several months ago. I'm going to have to contemplate what it was about it that didn't pull me in completely. Maybe because there were too many mysteries I still didn't understand at the end of this installment of the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it was a little predictable, but I still wanted to know what was going to happen. :) The ending was rather poor, but I think the author wanted to get us to read the second in the series. I've recently finished The Scorch Trials, and it was not nearly as compelling as the first. I'll read all 3 or 4 (or however many he ends up writing) just because I want to know how the story ends. :-)

      Delete
  2. It's one of about 25 books in my current wish list that i'm knocking out 2 at a time per month--except for the random "purchase three credits for $30" deals where I'll get three more. I did really like the movie, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, are you talking about Audible? Or just regular books? This one is a great one to get from the library. At least for me. Because I don't want to keep a copy for myself.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like an interesting book! Gonna have to check it out from the library. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, you absolutely should! It's a quick, easy read too!

      Delete
  4. I'm definitely interested and I am the same way with books and movies. Even though I am usually the last one to get on the bandwagon with any trend, I go to so few movies that it works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie, I am the same way. I resist what everyone else is reading. I want to walk my own path, blaze my own trail. I refused to read The Hunger Games because everyone else was. (Of course I did end up reading it before watching the movie.)

      Delete