Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The Adventures of a Bibliophile

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.
George R. R. Martin

Why do I read? Why am I a such an avid bookworm?

I read because books are amazing. They take me anywhere, and everywhere, as I sit in the comfort and tranquility of my home, drinking coffee, with my cozy blue blanket tucked under my toes. I can tell you some of the adventures I've had.

I've been on the edge of my seat, following the adventures of Katniss Everdeen. I read The Hunger Games in one Friday night, emerging around 12:30 Saturday morning, craving to know the rest of the story.

I've been infuriated. While reading Back Roads, I realized the author was going to kill off my favorite character: a beautiful middle-aged blond woman in jeans and bare feet. I threw the book angrily in the back of the car, and refused to read the rest. Until I finally picked it up again weeks later because I decided I still had to know how it ended.

I've suffered, gallantly suffered, through Jane Eyre. That book, my god. It finally improved towards the middle, but I will never read another Charlotte Brontë book again unless my life depends on it.

I was truly captivated and saddened by Quasimodo’s undying love for Esmerelda in the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

I get excited and happy at the thought of my favorite scenes in The Scarlet Pimpernel.

I've experienced the apprehension of fear of the French Revolution, via books like A Tale of Two Cities, and In the Reign of Terror. I remember when I read In the Reign of Terror, I lived for weeks afterwards always feeling like I had to be careful of what I said, else be in grave danger of the guillotine. My brain was so overtaken by the story.

I've been entertained and captivated by easy books like The Maze Runner; and I've been challenged by intense books like Les Misérables.

These are not just stories to me, these characters are my friends and my family. They are my life. I can’t imagine a life in which I didn't read. I’m thankful for the childhood I was given, where books were my life. Yes, there were negatives. I was not allowed to read many books written after the 1960's. But, because of that, I discovered books like The Seagulls Woke Me, and The Tunnel of Hugsy Goode.

I actually get angry with authors. Sometimes, I don’t agree with them, with how they craft the stories. I have no right to this of course. I may not be able to tell a better story. Sometimes, I’m wrong. I was furious with Gillian Flynn, at how she ended Gone Girl. I feel like at least one or both of the main characters should have ended up dead. But, after seeing the big screen adaption, and thinking on it some more, I realized she was right. They were both such diabolical characters, they deserved to end up together.

There are limitless worlds for you to experience. There is a book for EVERYONE. If you decide you don’t like a book, if it’s not your cup of tea, simply put it down, and pick up another.

I love books, they are my friends.


This post is part of the 31 Days of Bibliophilia series. 

8 comments:

  1. You and my wife are kindred spirits... while she doesnt read as many classics as i'm sure she'd like, she would stay up all night in college not out partying, but finishing a book that she couldnt put down--go to sleep at 4am, then wake up for class a few hours later!

    And like you, I do so many audiobooks, which is the only way I can read for time's sake, and I have a list five miles long of books to get to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, that's exactly what I go through.. staying up all night (or most of the night) to finish a book. One thing I've realized while doing this project - I haven't read nearly as many classics that I thought I had! And, I love Audible. I've read so many books this year alone that I would not have read without it.

      Delete
  2. #AllTheFeels, friend! Books do that same to me, and I'm doing my best to impart the love of books on my children. A household of Bibliophiles. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Share this beautiful gift! It carries on!

      Delete
  3. YES!!! And we all stand and applaud... except I can't just put a book down and quit. I know many say that's a waste of my precious time... but what if it has a super awesome ending that makes up for all of the monotony? So, I suffer through... a page here, a page there... except War and Peace. I just stopped it.. but I still have it should I choose that type of torture again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren, I was always the same way, I would finish a book even if it was horrible; but now, I've learned to make smarter choices, so the books I read I enjoy!

      Delete