Monday, October 27, 2014

October's Party

Today is my birthday; and this is my favorite poem about fall, my favorite season

October's Party
By: George Cooper

October gave a party;
The leaves by hundreds came—
The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples,
And leaves of every name.
The Sunshine spread a carpet,
And everything was grand,
Miss Weather led the dancing,
Professor Wind the band.

The Chestnuts came in yellow,
The Oaks in crimson dressed;
The lovely Misses Maple
In scarlet looked their best;
All balanced to their partners,
And gaily fluttered by;
The sight was like a rainbow
New fallen from the sky.

Then, in the rustic hollow,
At hide-and-seek they played,
The party closed at sundown,
And everybody stayed.
Professor Wind played louder;
They flew along the ground;
And then the party ended
In jolly "hands around."


Photo credit: awelltraveledwoman

This post is part of the 31 Days of Bibliophilia series. 

16 comments:

  1. Loved this! So creative & I always admire people who can write poetry of sorts! Autumn truly did throw a beautiful party this year, it was stunning here. I'm visiting from the 31 Dayers FB site & am glad to be here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's been one of my favorites since I was a child! :) Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday! This is one of my favorite fall poems as well. Can just picture the leaves swirling. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara!! I love to read it aloud with passion - it paints such a beautiful picture!!

      Delete
  3. What a delightful fall poem! Happy birthday, Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this poem! Thanks for sharing it and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Found you through the Facebook 31 Dayers link up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colors your poetry brings to mind!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday! I love fall foliage as well, so this is the perfect poem to share to convey that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday....enjoy the gorgeous fall day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday and thank you for sharing! I absolutely adore fall. Today I walked my kids to the park and had the chance to walk through a crisp morning day and crunch through mounds of crunchy leaves. The perfect Fall weather! I love it! Just like this poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, Thank you! That sounds like such a perfect day!! :)

      Delete