Saturday, October 4, 2014

Gone Girl

I'm not going to tell you much about this book's content. I don't want to ruin the experience for you, because I truly hope you will read it.

I am going to tell you how this book made me feel.

I first met Gone Girl at the Barnes and Noble at Brier Creek. I crossed the threshold on a rainy Sunday afternoon. When I stumble into bookstores, I never have a plan. I simply arrive, and the books find their way into my hands. I picked up the book from a center table, intrigued by the cover. I'd heard of it, but knew nothing about the story itself.

I opened it to the exact middle and was immediately pulled by the world inside. I am pretty sure my nose was still in the book when I paid for it, and as I walked outside.

Gone Girl is a story that you get lost in for days, emerging on the other side, dazed; while remnants of the book world cling to your subconscious, littering your real word with bits and pieces of imagination.

Gillian Flynn weaves a hell of a tale. I lived in that book for two days. Turning page after page after page.

If you're already a bookworm, you're familiar with late nights, staying awake reading, skipping sleep. Those nights don't happen with every book, only the truly mesmerizing and magnetic stories.

Gone Girl is the story of Nick and Amy Dunne.

On the morning of their fifth anniversary, everything is perfectly normal. She sings in the kitchen, as she cooks their breakfast, wearing a pretty little blue apron. They exchange words pleasantly and he left.

Amy disappeared.

Nick came home to find the door open, broken glass strewn about, an overturned ottoman.

What follows is a twisty tale full of surprises mysteries, and complete utter insanity.

What I really hated about this book was the ending. It angered me, infuriated me. As I related the story to a coworker, I was full of rage.

This story, was absolutely phenomenal. The way Gillian wove both Nick and Amy's tale together, throwing in amazing curve balls that kept me turning the pages like a maniac.

I HATED her ending. The ending was weak. I feel like she was running late on a deadline, and hurriedly finished the end.

I want to tell you how I would have written the ending, but that will ruin the story for you.

Despite my disagreements with the author's decision, overall, this was a GREAT book and I'd suggest you go pick up a copy right now. (Libraries are great, by the way.)


My copy.

This post is part of the 31 Days of Bibliophilia series. 

12 comments:

  1. I would love to hear your alternate ending.

    From a writing and story perspective, this is definitely a page turner. It was fascinating to see how Flynn wove the words and storylines together. Her character development was incredibly detailed; but I found them both equally detestable.

    For me, her ending seems to fit the characters she created, and, well, I'm not sure how you could work it out otherwise; thus, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judith, after seeing the movie on Saturday, I have to agree.

      Delete
  2. I have heard rumor the movie's ending may be different than the book. Perhaps the author finally settled into the ending and gave it a renaissance. Glad to visit you today... another #write31days writing/book loving/ word loving soul. I think I'll read the book before I see the movie. So glad a women written film is out there and is apparently quite a powerhouse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, have you seen the movie yet? I liked it a lot, they did very well converting the story to the screen.

      Delete
  3. I know this movie is coming out...I always like to read the books before I watch a movie...hmmm...I REALLY need to find more time to read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. April, it's a page turner, you'll finish it in two days. I did - spent every available minute reading until I finished it.

      Delete
  4. I just read a comment on Facebook about the movie. Sounds very intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie, it is! The book will pull you in, there are cliffhangers on every page so you can't help but read it straight through!

      Delete
  5. Loved this book.. HATED the ending!!! Just finished it over the weekend and literally sat there like, "What"... even though everyone had told me to expect a rough ending. Definitely a great book!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I was so angry when I got to the end! But it was still a GREAT book!

      Delete
  6. I LOVED Gone Girl. I LOVED the ending. In that I hated the ending, because it wasn't what I wanted to happen. It was the ending that only Gillian Flynn could have created, and it works. That's why it's an awesome ending! And the movie - so rarely does a movie capture all the nuance of a book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, I feel the exact same way. I hated it at first, and then I finally realized that it had to be that way. Have you read any of her other books?

    ReplyDelete